Thursday, February 11, 2010

You Are What You Eat

A new semester and a new class full of students to get to know. First hour biology is replacing my previous environmental science class. I understand that many of the ES students have moved on to bigger and better things: mostly microbiology. I wish them the best of luck.

No class on yesterday due to the snowstorm, but Monday was an investigation of food to determine major biomolecules. Students tested pizza, chips, bologna, sugar, and apple for sugars, starch, protein and lipids. I only got to witness the beginning of the lab, but I thought that the students enjoyed it. It will be interesting to return next week and determine whether the concepts have been absorbed or not. I also wonder whether they will examine what they have tested and compare it with the foods that they eat on a regular basis. For example, it was quite difficult to get a positive reading from the protein test with the pizza, despite having cheese - and maybe that will make students question eating pizza as their source of protein in the future?

No comments:

Post a Comment